Thursday, September 22, 2011

How to sing rock and roll?

I play rhythm guitar in a band and we all agreed that if I could improve I would be lead singer but I don't know how to improve on my own. We play classic rock and roll. Any tips on how to improve my voice because Right now I couldn't sing to save my life. My goal is to sound somewhat like Joan Jett and eventually develop my own style...|||Having not heard you that's hard to give, but here's some general things that may be messing you up.





Stay on key, that is of course crucial.





Sing from the gut not the throat, project your voice, your not talking loudly your SINGING and to do that requires using the diaphram.





Timing, It's really rough singing, I remember taking the mic a few times and what seemed like easy songs felt like I was slip sliding on glass timing wise. On guitar or bass I'd know RIGHT where I was, vocals it's a little harder and timing is crucial no matter what you play.





Own anything you sing. There are a few people who can mimic others, but most people's voices just sound aweful when they try to sing like somebody else. Sing it YOUR way. Vocals are the core of most genre's music. You drive that song good or bad.





Confidence. You can be a nervous wreck and it'll barely show on an instrument, vocals are the most intimate instrument. Every ounce of emotion leaks out in your voice so if your scared you sound scared. If your freaked your going to tense your vocal chords and sound like blah at best. Be the song, if it's a sad song be sad. If it's a rocking tune be up and energenic. If it's in your face be a bad a$$ Beeach right. If it's vulnerable be vulnerable. Take on the magic of song and channel it.





Vocal lessons never hurt anybody. I've worked with a few singers who swear by them.





Hope this helps.





All else fails swig lemon juice and or whysky depending on your age for a Gene Simmons/Bon Scott/Janice Joplin kinda sound :)|||Try Brett Manning's Singing Success. Look at his "free stuff" section. He is a hugely respected vocal coach and lots of celebrities work with him. You should also work on your ear. There are lots of free tools around that can help you develop a good ear, or you could use something like Ear Master Pro, which is what I use (but it's not free). I have also found that using aptuner (it's free) to check the pitch at which I am singing helped a lot in the beggining but I don't know if that specificaly is a problem for you or not. Brett Manning is excellent for perfecting your vocal style.|||Start smoking

No comments:

Post a Comment